Monday, December 21, 2009

Difference between heavy cream and table cream?

Can I substitute heavy cream with table cream?Difference between heavy cream and table cream?
Heavy cream is about 33% milk fat, 5% or so milk solids, and about 60% or so water. Table cream is about 18% milk fat, 5% or so milk solids, and about 75% water. (The exact percentages differ from area to area.)





You can substitute one for the other in ice cream and soups, although the finished product will be thinner and less substantial with table cream. (For soups this might be a plus.) Sauces made with table cream instead of heavy cream will be thinner and perhaps more watery.





You cannot whip table cream and expect it to come out as well as heavy cream: it won't keep its shape without the extra fat that whipping cream contains.





I also would be very leery of substituting one for the other in baking, especially in recipes that need the high fat content of heavy cream for texture. If you replace heavy cream in a cake recipe with table cream, the cake might turn out dry and might fall, or on the other hand might turn out watery and soggy.





So basically it depends on what you're making. I would not substitute one for the other in any baking recipe: I'd find a recipe that calls for the type of cream I had.Difference between heavy cream and table cream?
Typically, ';table cream'; is what we call half-and-half, meaning half heavy cream and half milk. ';Heavy cream'; is just that, all cream.





Dave



I guess...............................I think table cream is lighter (of course not the weight of it!) and heavy cream is more heavy. My dad teaches me cooking.
I don't know.........but I know one is heavy so that means it certainly isn't ';light'; so that might not be the better choice to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment